Pages

Monday 18 April 2011

You better shape up (do do doooo)!

Hey everyone. My name is Madeleine, and in 2010 I lost heaps of weight. 25 kilos, to be precise (that's about 55 pounds for those not acquainted with metric). I thought I'd start a blog to share my tips - and who knows, it may be helpful to someone out there in the blogosphere :)

I don't know how I got so heavy - I've always been a social person and loved a life of good food, good wine and good conversation. Unfortunately, it was too much of a good thing and before I knew it, I was obese (according to the BMI). 

As soon as I discovered this (the "o" word), I freaked out. I was size 16, which is still stocked in normal fashion outlets, I still thought I looked pretty good (with clothes on) and I felt pretty good about myself. I was even one of those "beauty comes in all sizes" Dove girls. 

But, I would not, and could not, be obese. I needed to do something about this. I, like probably all girls who struggle with their weight, had tried all the usuals (diets, Jenny Craig etc) but nothing had lasting effects. 

At the time, I was studying psychology, and so I implemented some of the theories I learned in class and created behavioural experiments for myself. This, coupled with changing some longstanding dysfunctional beliefs, thoughts and attitudes, really worked for me. I totally revolutionised the way I thought about food. Also, I found exercises that worked for me and I made sure I did something every day. I am now in an Honours program in Psychology and hope to one day have a clinical practise to help others achieve real, lasting deep change to lose their excess weight and keep it off. 

In 2010, I learned a lot about myself, and more importantly, a lot about the importance of eating well and moving every day. After all, the word diet comes from the Greek "Diaita", meaning "way of life". It is a way of life. Simple changes that become your new life. Weight loss. No sweat. 

BEFORE (I'm on the left, obviously!)


AFTER (on the right this time!)


I'll post more before and after photos as we go!

love,
Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment