Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Daily Tip #7 - An Ode To Protein

How you all doin? It may seem hard to keep all these tips in mind, but once you incorporate them into your lifestyle it really does become second nature. Or make a little reminder chart in the interim. I've still got one on my wall.

Protein. It's fabulous. And I'm not talking about the Atkins style "eat as much fatty bacon as you want because it's PROTEIN", I'm talking about the wonderful filling snacks of lean protein. Get some low fat snack size tubs of yoghurt in the fridge to satisfy those cravings. Grab a raw nut and seed mix (or even just almonds) to have in the pantry and grab a handful when you feel a rumble. I love a tin of flavoured tuna on a couple of corn thins with hummus or avocado and cracked salt and pepper.

And eggs. I never liked eggs, all wobbly and weird, but once you learn different ways to prepare them, they will become your new best friend.

For those egg virgins out there who are weird about runny yolk (like I was), try:

HARD-POACHED EGGS
- Bring 2 parts water, 1 part white vinegar to boil (the vinegar makes the white cling to the yolk)
Add 1-2 eggs and put the lid on and cook for about 5 mins. Have a slotted spoon handy to pick them up and check they're hard to the touch.
- Get some nice cafe-style thick slice grainy wholemeal bread fresh from the bakery and freeze. Then toast one piece, and serve with your favourite spread (my flatmate does a great homemade tomato relish, and I do a great homemade hummus, even if I do say so myself! Making things at home means you don't have the ridiculous sugar/salt/preservatives/flavouring rubbish that packaged versions have, and it's way cheaper too! Recipes to come.). I also like a good twist of the salt and pepper grinder. Then, chuck a handful of spinach leaves on top, and voila!

OMLETTE
- Put 2 eggs in a small bowl with chopped chives, garlic and basil (this is not prescriptive, just the way I like it, feel free to experiment, but I think with herbs, less is more). I prefer fresh, but dried is fine too. And if you like a bit of kick, add a bit of hot chili!
- Wisk with a fork until everything's combined and it's just a little bit bubbly at the top.
- Put a small amount of butter in a small frying pan on medium, just enough to stop it sticking (or spray with oil spray if you're being really serious about your weight loss!)
- Pour in slowly and leave until there's only a little bit of jiggle when you move the pan (about 5 mins usually).
- Get an egg flip and flip one half over the other half. Then about 1 min later, turn it all over. It should be golden brown on the outside. I like serving with a couple of slices of smoked ham and some spinach leaves. Yum!!

SCRAM!
- This one is one of my favourites, because it gets in lots of veges while you're at it! Finely chop red capsicum (and some yellow and green if you're keen!), zucchini, mushrooms, along with some chives, garlic, chili, basil, and salt and pepper.
- Fry up everything in a fry pan (non-stick with a small spray of cooking oil) on med-hot. Once everything gets a little bit soft, turn back to medium and spread out evenly.
- Crack in 2 eggs over the top, and keep it moving around and it'll turn into delicious, chunky, veggie filled scram! I serve this with one slice of the fancy toast I mentioned above, but if you're really wanting to be careful with your food, just have it on it's own.


Eating protein is great for weight loss. When the body uses energy, it prefers to use stored carbs/sugars than protien. So protein will keep you full and happy, whilst keeping you lean and lovely!

Enjoy those eggs, chickadees! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment