Pages

Thursday 9 June 2011

Challenge Tip #6 - That's no how you make porridge

For some weird reason, throughout childhood, adolescence and my adult life, I seemed to have missed the porridge train. I think I tried the 'delicious' combination of oats and water when I was a child and thought "this is shit, I want nothing to do with this poor man's food". Fast forward to Winter 2011, which feels colder than previous years (?), and my flatmate taught me how to make this gorgeous winter warmer the gourmet way. The good thing is it fills you up for ages, it's wholegrain, low fat and a great way to get a serve of fruit in.

Apple, date and cinnamon porridge (serves 2)

Put in a microwave safe jug/bowl:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 handful chopped dates
- a good shake of cinnamon
- 1 generous splash of apple juice
- 1 generous splash of milk
Stir. Add water until the liquid is covering the mixture by about an inch.
Microwave for about 3 mins (keep checking and stirring) until soft and goopy

This is one of those wonderful "chuck in whatever's in your fridge" type recipes. Substitute the apples for pears, the dates for sultanas, the apple juice for orange (or just use water and milk) - this recipe is just a guide. Make it how YOU want. Aye, it's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment